Captain the Lord Arthur John Hamilton Irish Guards was killed in action in 19 September 1914.
Hamilton was the second son of James Hamilton, 2nd Duke of Abercorn and Lady Mary Anna Curzon. He was in the Benson (then called Bevir’s after his housemaster and member of the Old Wellingtonian Lodge) between 1898 and 1900 before joining the Militia. He was commissioned and gazetted first to the Royal Scots before transferring to the Irish Guards, rising to Captain in 1909.
He was made Deputy Master of the Household by the King, a post which he fulfilled with energy and tact. The Gazette records:
Board of Green Cloth, Buckingham Palace
March 5th, 1913.
The KING has been pleased to appoint
Captain the Lord Arthur John Hamilton to be Deputy Master of His Majesty’s Household.
He was deployed to France with the 1st Bttn Irish Guards as part of the British Expeditionary Force in August 1914. Hamilton was killed on 6 November 1914 during the First Battle of Ypres. Lord Hamilton was originally posted as missing but later in the year his mother heard from a German officer that he had fallen early in September.
He is commemorated on the Menin Gate.
He was a member of the Bachelors’ Club in town and the Duddingston Golf Club in Edinburgh.
Originally made a mason under the Irish Constitution he joined United Lodge No 1629, now merged as the United Studholme Alliance Lodge No 1591.