Alfred Vivian Stanfield was in the Benson from 1898, a prefect and member of the XI. He went on to Clare College Cambridge, at the same time as Siegfried Sassoon, before returning to Wellington as an assistant master in 1911, and becoming Tutor of the Orange.
In December 1914, Stanfield along with three other OWs were commissioned as territorial officers on the unattached list on the strength of their service with the Wellington OTC.
Stanfield was posted to the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment as a subaltern in March 1916, and died at the Somme less than five months later on 16 August.
He was 31.
Sixty-four OWs are known to have died in the battle of the Somme.
It was Stanfield’s posthumous bequest to Wellington that was used to relay the floor of Old Hall with the current floorboards as the room was transformed from the former dinning hall into its current form, becaming at the same time a memorial to the fallen.
 The London Gazette, 22 December 1914 1094G