Alexander Mere Latham was in the Talbot from 1877, was in the XI, captained the XV in 1880, and was made a Prefect before going up to BNC to read law. He was the father of the Lodge’s first Lewis, George Latham.
He was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple in 1890. He was the Recorder of Birkenhead from 1912 to 1934.
He was a Founder of the Lodge, Worshipful Deputy Master in 1915 and served as Secretary between 1919 and 1931. He remained a member until his death. Latham was initiated into the Playgoers Lodge No 2705, and joined that Lodge’s Chapter. He was given London Rank in 1918. He was made Assistant Grand Registrar in 1923. He was also a member of Oxford and South Eastern Bar Lodge No 2716.
His other great passion was sport, and in particular cricket. He played both football and cricket for Cheshire, and was a member of the M.C.C. and the Surrey County C.C. After he was too old to play, he was for many years a stalwart umpire of the OW match.
He was a member of the Reform.